Saturday, April 9, 2011

review: the virgin suicides.

ok, so I have seen the movie, years ago, and I was 11 or so, so you could understand how reading the book was completely different for me.
I would like to add that I belive that every single person that reads a book views it completely differently from how the other person dose.
it maybe the fact that I love sadness so much that slightly disappointed me about the lack of a melancholic feel.
and then I realized, the actual point, or what I think is the point.
sometimes in literature it is more intelligent to come up with a wrong creative answer, then the right answer, and that is why I dont understand how they could create schools for art, or literature, I am afraid, these are things one cannot be taught
in all cases, the virgin suicides plot, is clearly interesting, it revolves around the 5 lisbon girls: therese, bonny,mary, lux, and cesilia.
by the way, I freaken love his choice of names.
especially therese and lux.
anyhoo, so they belong to a very strict catholic family. Cecilia, the youngest, kills her self at 13, and so there troubles start.
between depression and isolation.
the MOST interesting part I think is that, it is all viewed from there adolescent neighbors point of view, there a bunch of horny teenage boys that get so attached, almost obsessed with the girls. it is set in the 70s, and the boys, who now have become me, 20 years later, still unable to get over the girls.
now off coerce, it wasnt as sad as expected because it is from the boys point of view, there angry at there neighbors for not caring, frustrated confused, and finally, angry at the girls them selfs for well, bewitching them and selfishly taking there own lives.
so, off coerce, I wouldn't see the girls sadness, if the girls weren't the ones speaking, I was disappointed at first and then I realized how beautiful and creative that is, its a completely different way of looking at things rather than the classic, sad, suicidal thoughts.
I did really enjoy this book, however I wouldn't give it five stars.
 its 4 and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment